Click here to return to main newsletter page.....

October 25, 2012 newsletter: Fr. Andrew, Nov. 3, 4, & 5, for Edenton's 300th


I. Fr. Andrew's visit Nov. 3, 4, & 5

II. Edenton's tercentenary Nov. 5

III. special announcements

IV. weekly announcements

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I. We're pleased that the next visit of our priest, Fr. Andrew Davis, will be for three days and will coincide with the tercentennial observance of the establishment of Edenton in November of 1712.

Thus on Saturday the 3rd, Great Vespers will begin at 5:00 in the church as usual, after which Fr. Andrew will be available to hear confessions.

And on Sunday the 4th, the Divine Liturgy will begin at 10:00, preceded by the Hours' Prayers at 9:40, and followed by refreshments.

Then on Monday the 5th, at 12:00 noon in the Old Courthouse, Fr. Andrew will help lead the public Prayer Service that will open the year­-long commemoration of the founding in 1712 of the Town.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

II. The territory of Carolina had been partitioned in 1629 from southern Virginia, to include the land from the middle of the Albemarle Sound southwardly to the border of Spanish Florida.

But it was the Carolina Charter of 1663 (which will be displayed in Edenton, under armed guard, Nov. 6th & 7th) that established, on that same 1629 territory, the Province of Carolina and its government, as an English (or British, after 1707) proprietary colony, and that initiated its colonization.

Carolina as chartered thus did not include the already existing Albemarle Settlements, that is, the north shore of the Albemarle Sound, where Edenton lies, which territory instead remained in the Colony of Virginia.

It was the later second Carolina charter, of 1665, that extended the province's northern limit one­-half degree farther into Virginia, to the present common boundary, thus encompassing the site of Edenton and of Shaftesbury Precinct (now Chowan County), and the rest of "the Albemarle."

(It was because the Albemarle, from 1653, was Carolina's oldest settlement that, ultimately after the Province was divided, the nickname the "Old North State" was applied to the older half, North Carolina.)

The Province of Carolina was governed from Charles Town; but usually there was appointed also one Deputy Governor, for the County of Albemarle (the distant one of Carolina's original three counties), or for (as it later became known, after the original counties were replaced by smaller divisions) the "North-East Part of the Province."

(The middle Clarendon County, on the Cape Fear River, was quickly abandoned after a 1667 hurricane, leaving only Albemarle and Craven—the county surrounding Charles Town, in the South. Albemarle County was replaced in 1689 by its four Precincts established in 1670: Currituck; Pasquotank; Berkeley—renamed Perquimans in 1681; and Shaftesbury—renamed Chowan in 1685, like the adjacent River, after the local Chowanoke Indians.)

And so there was enacted in November of 1712 (no record of the date in November survives), by the Palatine (the senior Lord, as chairman) & Lords Proprietors and the General Assembly, "An Act to promote the building of a Court house and House to hold the Assembly in, at the fork of Queen Anne's Creek commonly called Matchacamack Creek, in Chowan Precinct," and for the laying out and building of a Town at that fork.

The result of this Act of November 1712 was the establishment of the Town—which was called simply Queen Anne's Creek, until 1721 by which time it had been named Edenton, in honor of Charles Eden, Governor of North-East Carolina, who then died in 1722 at Eden House (and, according to his tombstone, "who governed this Province ... to the greatest satisfaction of the Lords Proprietors and the ease & happiness of the people ... and died much lamented").

Accordingly North-East Carolina (later known simply as North Carolina) by this 1712 Act was provided her first seat of government; and by a later 1722 Act the various Provincial Officers were required to maintain, for North-East Carolina, offices consistently in Edenton—which remained thus the Northern Provincial capital until it was removed in 1747 to the more centrally located New Bern.

(The Act of 1722 also geographically "incorporated" into the then existing Town of Edenton, which was the part east of Main Street, a further 270 acres, being the part now west of Main Street—although during recent generations that Act was misunderstood by some as instead an "incorporation" of the Town, which in fact had been legally established already by the Assembly's 1712 Act.)

In 1729, when seven of the eight Lords Proprietors had sold their shares in the proprietary colony to the Crown, the Province of South Carolina and the Province of North Carolina, so completing that year the division, were formally established as separate crown colonies; and Edenton continued as the capital of the latter.

For the eighth proprietor, Lord Granville, the northern one­-eighth of Carolina (per its broadest 1665 limits, because Georgia would not be created out of South Carolina until 1732) was partitioned as the Granville District (thus extending from Virginia southward to the present northern line approximately of Hyde & Beaufort counties).

(Although the Granville District was retained until Independence in territorial proprietorship by Lord Granville, he relinquished his right of governmental participation, so that from 1729 the entire Province of North Carolina, including the proprietary District, was governed as a crown colony.)

After North Carolina's capital was removed to New Bern, pursuant to the Act of December 5, 1746, of the General Assembly, to take effect on August 15, 1747, Edenton continued to serve as the seat of the Granville District—the Carolina Province's original settlement and the sole remnant of the old Proprietary Colony—until Independence.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

III. Consequently St. George's Church, the Deanery of the Carolinas, and the Diocese of the South are all honored by the invitation for Fr. Andrew's participation in the ceremonies on Monday the 5th at noon, in our Pre-Revolutionary Courthouse, to inaugurate the tercentenary of the Town of Edenton and of the settled Government of North Carolina.

This newsletter's last issue was sent Saturday night Oct. 6th about 8:00 p.m., but the copies to some addresses were lost in Century Link's Fayetteville mail­-drop repairs during that night's outages of the company's e­-mail system.

(That newsletter featured excerpts from recent Edenton homilies by Orthodox priests on the parable of the vineyard, on taking up one's cross, and on the first disciples' miraculous catch of fish.)

If any subscriber failed to receive that copy, the editor would like to send another, if the subscriber will notify us, by e­-mail reply.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

IV. Our regular Sunday services continue each week at 10:00 a.m., followed by refreshments.

All of our services are held in our church building, at 300 East King Street, on the corner of Oakum Street, in Edenton; and visitors are always invited and welcome.

The editor apologizes that his office obligations have displaced the newsletters again, since the last issue of October 4th/6th.

A household willing to furnish a particular Sunday's refreshments or lunch may volunteer by e­-mail reply or by calling our office at 482–2006.

Our prayers are asked for Fr. Edward, for Mo. Katrina, for Biljana, for Byron, for Susan, for Anne, for Jean, and for their health; for Bro. William, as he pursues the monastic novitiate; and for Marcia, for James & Kate, for Joshua & his family, and for Kelly & her family.